Being back in school can be a pain for your kids–if you’re not watching their backs. A typical elementary school student hauls between 10 and 20 pounds in books, lunch, and other school supplies in their backpacks. While most kids can handle the weight, about one in 10 complain of back pain. And although it may not cause long-term back problems, many children have to curtail their usual activity or take pain medication.
Here’s some tips to prevent back pain in kids:
- Encourage kids to carry only what they need. A filled pack should weigh no more than 30 percent of your child’s weight.
- Tell kids to wear a backpack as close to their bodies as possible. Recommend that they use both shoulder straps and the pelvic strap.
- Instruct kids to switch the pack between both shoulders, if you know they won’t use both straps. For example: Carry the pack on the right shoulder one day and on the left shoulder the next day.
- Distribute the weight as evenly as possible. This will ensure a balanced load.
- Buy a pack with padded shoulder straps. Some also come with padding in the back.
po.src = ‘https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js’;
var s = document.getElementsByTagName(‘script’); s.parentNode.insertBefore(po, s);
Live Oak Pharmacy is Austin’s Pharmacy and we care about your kid’s health and wellness too! Children aren’t little people, they have their own special health and wellness needs. Talk to our pharmacist today about your kids! Live Oak Pharmacy is located at 1611 W 5th Street (just 2 blocks east of MoPac) with plenty of free parking located behind the store!